Wednesday, August 3, 2011

We're all sick and you know what that means....

                                                   we're CRANKY! and our hair looks weird!

Unfortunately unless you have a fever school must go on......

I've mentioned before that we are using Writing With Ease for the 1st time year and the cubs HATE IT! This amuses me for two reasons- #1- I don't care what they like and #2- there's almost no writing involved.

                                       qwilt- quilt, and my all time favorite--> stufudde= stuffed

And that's it. Every other day they write a sentence comprised if 12-15 words selected from a story....in this case The Patchwork Girl by Frank L. Baum. Stuffie was inspired to draw a picture of the Patchwork Girl.
I'm not sure what they dislike about it given the alternatives but it is what it is.

They also have copy work in their Science notebooks....here's Kung Fu's from today.
                                           nice looking cursive handwriting there fella!

They also have mini books in their notebooks for example......
                                                                            cute!
and this.....
                               there's a separate page each week for them to glue in their little books.

Speaking of glue. Am I the only parent that finds the Elmer's Washable Glue Sticks to be complete and utter CRAP? They barely get the glue on the paper before it dries and then what ever they are gluing falls off the page. Shame on you Elmer's.....you won't trick me again. I'll buy the Scotch brand ones in Sam's Club so there!

The only other subject that they loathe, scorn, despise and abhor is Math....and when i say they I mostly mean Stuffie, this might be why....
                                                        I wonder if the sticker made it all better?


Now I'm going to talk about WP's State Study. If you read back you can see that we've had a time just trying to get started....this week's study was on Maine...I say was because we're already done....they tried to spread this......
into 4 days. Next week I'm just going to let him do it all in one day if that's what he wants...it's not like spreading it out over 4 days is going to make him retain it. I have some games and stuff we can play to fill in the time....

Tonight Papa Bear broke out the Trades and Crafts Kit, such as it is, and together with the cubs started on the ti-pi.....
                                              Papa tracing the shape onto the fabric.
                                           cutting it out.......

instead of using white liquid glue we opted for the faster spray adhesive found in AC Moore for under $5....it worked awesome and there's plenty left in the can for other projects. As an added bonus the smell was minimal and dissipated quickly.
                                                   cutting out the door.....
now for the fun part.....decorating! There were 6 panels on the ti-pi and they each did 3. This step is  scheduled later in the building process-the end of it actually- when the ti-pi was already assembled.....I chalked this up to another poorly thought out WP assignment and adjusted as necessary. The cubs LOVED it and we very creative.....
                                                  How cute it that?!
 to wrap things up Papa glued on the supporting sticks and weighted them.
Now we're waiting for it to dry.....Papa thought that the directions we're clear and to the point and the materials were adequate for project.
I'll post pictures of the completed ti-pi tomorrow, but for now I'm going to go have a cup of tea.....
I feel like this guy looks....TRUE STORY!

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

Now, I love Elmers and hate scotch glue. We use that at church and nothing ever sticks together. Except for your fingers. Weird.

And for the love of pete, skip the copy work in science and about half of those math problems. That looks like three days of math problems for Mackenzie. LOL

Alex said...

Dude you are hard core... i can't get Alex to do anything when he's sick.

Kelly Burgess said...

Don't feel bad...the rule here is unless you are throwing your guts up, school work must go on! LOL. My sister always said I was a mean mama! ROFL.

My Favorites