Thursday, August 4, 2011

All day I thought it was Friday.....

I hate it when that happens. The boy had worked ahead on some of his books and it confused my poor sick brain. I'm also still confused by WP's choice to teach about Native Homes and Explorers in the same Unit. They should have just used Time Traveler and followed up with similar information in some different books. But I digress....

Today we stared learning about the Explorers to the New World....St.Brendan, Leif Ericsson, and Christopher Columbus. It was a good bit of reading in the Time Traveler....
                                3 pages was quite a jump from the one and a half we've been used too....

We would pause between each explorer and fill out a mini book about them, when they explored, what they found......you get the idea. They will go into our big project at the end of the unit.....
                                            each book has a cover with the explorer's picture....

We also made a mini book on the Line Of Demarcation....it too will be added to our project.
The Time Traveler has several options when choosing what to print. You can print the text like you see here or you can have blank lines for the child to fill in, in some cases they have print or cursive which is nice when working with 2 kids 3 grades apart.

Since we are all so sick and just sitting around here like blobs waiting for this plague to pass I figured I'd take advantage of their lethargy and throw another activity in......
We made our own glow in the dark constellations! All we needed was black felt, chalk and GITD puffy paint....they had everything we needed in AC Moore. The kids really enjoyed making them.
                                Time Traveler prints out the constellation and you copy it on to the felt......
Then you follow along over top of your copy with the paint......watch little ones who like to squeeze things to hard....lol!
Here are the finished constellations which they can hang in their rooms and dream about the Explorers following the stars and their dreams......and as an added bonus they glow in the dark! fun!
                                    the man boy picked Hercules......color me surprised.

                                            Pegasus? lol she's so predictable....I love her

Here's mine....I know it's awesome right?!

We also made this with a left over piece.....much fun was had by all......

My sweet angel baby also wrote this note to God.....I know it made His day even more than it made mine!

                       precious angel child...God Bless her forever....amen.

The boy got a 90 on his spelling......holla!

We fizzled out around 2:30 so we put on a documentary suggested in the instructor's guide that conveniently enough was on instant view from Netflix.
Some of the paintings pictured in the documentary were on the mini books that I showed you today and the boy noticed right away so that was neat. Stuffie bailed on the viewing and made clothes for her tiny toy dogs, but the boy stayed till the end and declared it OK.

Last but not least here is the promised photo of the ti-pi.....everyone LOVES it and I'm thinking I'll cherish it for a long time to come.......
                                                               so cool!
Stuffie's 3 panels.....love the animals!
Kung Fu's half, love the water and the totem pole.

The total awesomeness of this ti-pi makes me almost forget what I paid for the trades and Crafts kit....almost...


  


No comments:

My Favorites