Sunday, July 24, 2011

I want to hit Don with a stick!

So I've been making some pretty big changes to my homeschool this year after having a more hands off approach with Kung Fu last year. I've had quite a bit more prep work to do as I'm using lots of new books. When I finally got around to giving AA1 a more thorough review I came across something called Early American  Trades and Crafts kit that happens to be scheduled into EVERY WEEK of the school year. I quickly looked over my( late to arrive) book list( that I practically had to beg for) and it's not on there. Next I head over to WP's site to see what's doing. Sure enough this kit has everything you need to complete the hands on assignments and all for the low bargain price of $64. Don't mistake this kit with the Time Travelers kit which contains stuff I have at hand like card stock and brown paper bags. No- the Trades and Crafts kit has things like latch hook rugs and tepees in it. What makes this all the more annoying is that they never mentioned it...EVER. No little note at the end of the description for AA1 that said ' Hey there- if you think your kids would like to make all the cool crafts we have scheduled in this year and if you don't have the materials to make a rug, tin star and a tepee then you should buy this kit.' Yet another Winter Promise FAIL!

At the same time I discover that I need this $64 kit I also realized that I need their time line. I discovered this while reviewing the first weeks assignments and reading something along the lines of 'add this to your time line pages' Of course I was all "Time line pages?" Checked the book list ( that I had to beg for) and it's not on there. No note that says ....'you might want to pick up the time line so you can add your work to it"...... FAIL.
So I shoot Don an email...

Hi Don...hope you are enjoying the summer. I've been getting ready to start our new school year and we're really looking forward to using Winter Promise! I noticed in the activity planning chart and item called Early American Trades and Crafts. I don't believe it's included in All American 1. I think it's considered a supplement, how ever it's scheduled frequently through out the year and I'm wondering if I need it? If you could let me know asap if I do in fact need it and if I pay by credit card can I have it here by July 25th. Also in regard to the timeline and figures. Are those included in what I purchased (Time Traveler) or do I need to buy the time line and figures separately? Thanks so much!
*****I didn't get a reply.*****
Now I'm getting worried....school starts in 2 weeks and I don't seem to have everything I need....or maybe I don't need? I didn't know....so I went to the forums and looked it up and sure enough I do need the kit. So I order the kit and the time line. A few days later I get a message on my phone from WP wanting to talk to me about ordering the kit and timeline that I already ordered. This annoys me because how hard is it for you to see that I've already ordered it. I don't want you to call me and not have my account info and order history in front of you. FAIL....again.
Fast forward to today....I walk out the door and see my mail box is overflowing and right at the top is a package from WP. My first thought is "This better not be the kit." because I don't want to have paid $64 for something that can fit in my mailbox.  Thankfully it was the time line.....
It arrived in a plastic bag....
I soon discovered that I would need another one of these....
it barely fit in there so if we add to it like the instructions say(WP has instructions for everything, maybe they should focus less on how I set up my binder and more on their customer service) we'll probably need to switch it to another binder....I'm sick of buying binders.


So tomorrow I will actually begin using the materials except the $64 early American Trades and Crafts kit which hasn't arrived despite me ordering it 2 weeks ago. I'm really hoping that we enjoy using WP this year. Their customer service is crap but the idea of using hands on activities to reinforce what they are learning in History really appeals to me. Wish us luck!

My Favorites