Saturday, July 23, 2011

The best laid plans....

I think it's only fair that the blame finger gets pointed directly where it belongs and that's at Stef.  If she had just kept her mouth shut I probably would have continued along mostly using Sonlight....maybe. We all know how dead inside I am and how much I hate Sonlight's emotional book selections. But no. She had to tell me about Winter Promise which made me order a catalog which in turn made me order All American 1 and now look where we are.
On Monday I will begin using winter Promise with my 2 children Kung Fu Panda Bear age 10 and Stuffie Bear age 7. All American 1 is designed for parent who want to combine this particular age spread for History. Like Sonlight, Winter Promise has read-aloud's and readers whose content reflects that of the History we'll be studying. I'm also going to use their 4th grade language Arts with Kung Fu.
So far Winter Promise has not inspired a lot of confidence in me. I never received an order conformation from them. Then I started getting the boxes, lots of boxes..... still no receipt or book list. Then the fun really started when this happened....
Seems I'm not the only one in need of a book list.

I promptly fired off an email to Don and here's his reply....
The Pueblo and Longhouse will be going out this week--we have been waiting on them.  I will check on the Map book and Soft Rain.  the 50 United States Book may be delayed at publisher.  We were just told that they were temporarily out of stock at HarperCollins/Scholastic.  We will get you one as soon as we can.
 
Thanks for the gentle "nudge" to check on the three hole punch issue.  It really did make no sense :-) 
 
Don
 Notice how there's no mention of what to do with the extra books? Eventually he told me to send them back and he'd give me a $20 credit....I'm still working on getting those packed up and shipped....it's been 3 months and he hasn't said anything so I guess he's not in a hurry.

Then there was the matter of the Time Travelers 'book'. I say 'book' because this is actually how it arrived at my house.....
And yes I absolutely think it's weird that it arrived in a zip lock bag. To add insult to injury the entire stack was NOT 3 holed punched. According to Don this was an over site at the printers and I should just buy a 3 hole punch and viola! Problem Solved! Here's my reply to Don....

"Hi Don~ I've gotten every item except these 5....Life In A Pueblo, Life In A Longhouse Village, 3D Interactive Maps American History,  Time For Kids Our 50 United States, and Soft Rain. I have also received doubles of 2 books...see attached photo. Now in regard to our last e-mail...A heavy duty 3 hole punch costs over 20 dollars. Add that to the cost of weekly divider tabs and  how ever many binders I'm going to have to purchase to house all the millions of pages and maybe you can see why I found it a bit off putting that the spine of your history program needs so much assembly. As opposed to being already bound or at the very least 3 holed punched for the users convenience. I've got enough to do with out having unexpected work added so maybe you should mention that it's not user ready in your item description so buyers can be prepared. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! Let me know how you'd like to handle the return of the 2 extra books. Thanks"

They don't inspire confidence. I hope the year isn't a comedy of errors like the ordering process has been.
Don annoys me. Tomorrow I'll share my early American Trades and Crafts story....I love a good story!
 
 

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Bwaaa haa haaa!!! Dang I look good.

And I have a WP story to tell you. I found a blog of some who's used WP and didn't have terribly horrible things to say. She did mention the slow shipping and many shipments but she didn't seem to consider it problematic.

She's used CAW and the American history.

Regarding CAW, she said her daughter LOVED it and would do it again. Apparently she's not as savvy at spotting glaring errors as moi. So at least we might have some fun while we're dumbed down. LOL

As for the American History... your report isn't as wonderful. She called the notebooking pages mediocre and the history books dry. Her kids claimed boring. She did have some positive things to say about some of the read alouds. They're probably emotional or something. LOL

Some commenter summed them up nicely with "they seem nice but they don't have their ducks in a row or a lick of business savy. At all." True story! ROFL

Oh and someone else said they had paid by pay pal, the money was taken out, but they never got their stuff. She contacted them after a month and Don said they somehow missed their order. But not the money. Bwaaa haaa haaa haaa!!

My Favorites