Monday, August 15, 2011

Week Three, Day One -or- Someone Needs to Proof Read......

My proof reading story is funny and we'll get to that in a minute...I like to make Stef wait for it....In the mean time we were back to school today and here's how it went......

It was hard to get Kung Fu motivated today. He just wasn't feeling it which reinforced my decision not to take off weeks like we did last year....bet he's rethinking the attitude after that little announcement.

Time Traveler was about John Cabot and Amerigo Vespucci....we made these nifty mini books to add to our end of the unit project.....
We also had to add to our Timeline book. This is the first week we've used it since there were no figures in week one and I forgot to do it in week two. I had the figures all printed out but somehow I forgot. Anyway as you recall the pages are printed on heavy cardstock and you must purchase the binder and then set it up so the pages face eachother and the blank pages are to be used for additional projects that I guess you'd make up but as you know I don't make it up....I make people make it up for me and pay them....but I digress.....
                                       Bed head and glue sticks....OH MY!

There is no actual line in this time line book, the pages are titled with important dates and you glue the picture in. I don't dislike it, it's just new for me.....
I actually have my own really nifty timeline that I'm going to bust out tomorrow so they can see how it looks in relation to the rest of history.....they'll love it.

Next we had our picture studies, which is actually a WP publication so you know it was a lark!
They want us to add John Trumbull to the time line, but they don't give his dates...they give the dates when he painted certain paintings but not his life span dates....they continue to amaze me. Luckily I know about wiki and I wiki'ed him and then printed out a picture for the timeline.....
In week two the kids were bored of this painting and hoping to move on....we're still at it.....mybe next week?

After Picture Studies we got to read about how poor Naya Nuki got chased up a tree by a bear...that kid can't catch a break.

We also started out new State Study. I forgot to tell you that I got an envelope last week from WP. That sucker was taped shut six ways till Sunday and it was an event just getting it out of the envelope with out tearing the contents....
It was the new schedule to go with the states facts book I got in the mail from them after pitching a fit the first week of school. I can't believe sometimes that I pay money for this stuff....
Harvard and basketball are among Massachusetts' claims to fame.....

Something else that amused me was the suggestion that we watch the documentary on Columbus that we watched in week two...you know, when we studied Columbus....
I was happy to be able to check that off tho' cuz I'm a checker.

Stuffie blew me away during First language Lessons today by remembering The Caterpillar by Christina G. Rosetti....that was the 1st poem she learned last year and she still remembered it. She also got to make fun sentences ....
'Candy is dangerous'-she cracks herself up......

Now we get to the good part.....WP's Language Arts for Kung Fu. oh my I wish they had a proof reader that could read....
Read sentence 6.....The sly rascal and escapee WAS giving the police a clue. Really? They WAS? Holy moly WP this is a grammar book could we get with the program and actually proof read before we hand it out to the kiddies. GEESH!
That being said we did cross one more city off our list. Kung Fu is looking forward to solving the mystery and with 2 cities left I'm guessing it will be soon.

Math was an adventure as usual. I wish you could sit next to Stuffie and see how difficult it is for her to focus. I can literally see the millions of thoughts flashing before her eyes as she's trying to discern 6+2 and none of those thoughts are about numbers.
If I wasn't sitting right next to her directing her every pencil stroke she'd still be working on math at bedtime'

We wrapped up the day with science. Our new planet is Mercury. I really love Apologia Astronomy...have I mentioned that already?

After school we went to the pool and then we ran errands and now I'm really tired....

Tomorrow's another fun day!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Bwaaa haaa haa! I can't even stand it. LOL

Nice schedule. It looks even crappier than my reader schedule. LOL

My Favorites