Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday or...... I'm so glad it's almost Friday!

Last night after I blogged I felt like maybe blogging everyday or nearly everyday wasn't going to work out....I mean it was a pretty lame blog and as tired and stressed out as I was it was also a burden to even do it.....then I remembered that Winter Promise would always let me down and in fact  today I can report that they have! YAY! State Studies was a real pip and I'm looking forward to sharing it with you! And I'm only going to make you wait a little while into the blog for the big reveal.....

This morning Kung Fu was invited to go up to the karate school and help out. There was a bus load of kids coming in for a field trip. He was very happy and excited to be helping out. The child really has a passion for teaching and I hope he never loses it.

Needless to say the morning activities threw a wrench in our school day. They did manage to get their math done while we were there so I was happy about that.

I decided that the only work that absolutely had to get done today was the 5 day stuff like Bible, Language Arts, Math and Science. I also did the State Study with them and read Naya Nuki.

The State Study was another WP fail.....

See all those questions? Of course you do! I even put a close up shot of them for you. Yeah well the answers to those questions were NOT in the reading he had to do to answer them. One or two of them were covered in the reading. The rest he figured out with deductive reasoning. And God Bless him he never complained or said a word. He just handed me the book and when I looked it over and compared it to the reading sections I discovered that the answers weren't there. Really Winter Promise??? REALLY? That's a dirty trick to play on a boy. This is only our second State Study and I'm already thinking about tossing it out the window.

Stuffie's state stuff consists of a couple of things I picked up in the Target dollar spot, plus she sits in on the reading....
A card with a map one one side and some facts on the other and then half a workbook page with an activity and a space to copy the name of the state...easy peasy and look Mom no annoying questions without answers!

In a few weeks I'm going to bust out The Scrambled States of America game that I've been hoarding...it should be fun. It got great reviews on amazon....
http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-5505-Scrambled-States/dp/B0009XBY1W/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1313621374&sr=1-1

They both finally seem to be getting the hang of Writing With Ease....it's been touch and go these past couple of weeks and I honestly think their brains had to be trained....today was a breeze and I'm so relieved.


Kung Fu's is on the top. His selection just happened to be about The Boston Tea Party which as you know happened in Massachusetts- neat-O ! Stuffies was an excerpt from Mrs. Piggle Wiggle which is one of her favorite books...she drew a picture of dirty Patsy...
She was cracking herself up..."look Mom I made her all goth!" hahahaha....I'd never seen an 'after/before' picture but I was entertained none the less!

Science continues to float my boat. I wasn't expecting all the 'young Earth' stuff but I usually just skip it. I don't really care what age the Earth is and I don't go for a literal translation of the Bilbe  timeline.......I know He made it and that's good enough for little old me. Any way they did the mini book page....
we've got one more mini book for later in the week...And Stuffie added some pictures to her notebook....I'm glad she got the one with the extra drawing space (although I continue to be baffled as to why exactly they are different)
                                it's Mercury, Earth, and the moon......i like it!


First Language Lessons had a narration today and this goes right along with doing a summary in Writing With Ease which was good because she needs a ton of practice in summarizing a story instead of just retelling it. I also bet this skill is going to come in handy for book reports and report writing in the future...
Do you LOVE the camel and the palm tree? Her drawings always make me smile.

After getting stuff done we had time to run over to AC Moore and make their Wednesday craft....Kung Fu made a space shuttle which was a nice snap tight model and he put it together almost entirely on his own...

And Stuffie was going to make a friendship bracelet....except it was so difficult that the woman running the craft table couldn't even explain how to do it or show us....so we brought it home to let Papa have a go at it and if that doesn't work we're going to use the thread and find easier instructions elsewhere....
After that we went to Home Depot with Papa  where we got lights to replace all the burned out ones in my kitchen...it's lit up like the 4th of July in there and I just spent the last 20 minutes spraying down the cabinet doors I thought were clean and weren't ....gag.

......and if you're wondering what I do while they are reading and writing.....
I'm s-l-o-w-l-y working my way through this awesome Bible study on the book of John. I can't say enough good things about it. It's really shown me a more personal side of Christ and I'm learning a TON.
That is when I'm not playing Words with Friends....
Just keeping it real people....

No comments:

My Favorites