Thursday, August 25, 2011

The I got an i-pod and have been too distracted to blog....MEGA BLOG!!!

It's true. I've smiled, cajoled, winked, and shimmied my way into an i-pod touch. And it's AMAZING! How did I ever do anything before?! And I'm certainly not doing anything now unless you count buying music at an alarming rate and playing Words With Friends until way past my bed time.

I am finding time to homeschool. To prove it here's what we've been up to....

Science continues to be the subject that gets skipped on busy days. I'm not sure why that keeps happening but I'm working on a solution. In the mean time we make up what we've missed on the weekends or in the evening. Here's Papa and the brats making an eclipse in our living room..... because we are just that powerful. (insert maniacal laughter)
it really worked and helped them to understand that the whole entire world doesn't get covered in darkness at the same time.

We are continuing to work on our big end of the unit project.  We're adding mini books like drunken sailors....


And Papa and I got started on the maps.
It's a pretty involved process so we decided to make them for the kids. Making 2 of everything is kind of a drag but the maps are super cool with the transparency overlays of the route the explorer took so in the end it will be worth it. I hope.....

We made a 3D interactive map of Columbus' voyages....I cut out the path he traveled and then you could put the ships in and sail them...so cute!

we continued to add pictures to the Timeline....
As you can see we're running out of room. I'm wondering what it's going to look like by the end of the week....


One of their favorite things they made last week were these Sea Monster pop-ups. I think they came out AWESOME!
                                           Stuffie's
                                           Kung Fu's


Stuffie continues to struggle at Math. I have to sit next to her and walk her through every single problem. She understands the mechanics of how to do the problems she just doesn't want to waste valuable day dreaming time actually figuring them out.....the poor dear.....

Kung Fu solved the first case in his Language Arts workbook. It was neat. I hope he continues to enjoy it.
                                           It's Amsterdam!


We squeezed in a field trip to the Mariner's Museum. They have a really awesome section just about explorers. They were totally jazzed at seeing the different navigational tools we studied. Stuffie spent a while playing the game about what you should bring on your journey to prevent your crew from getting scurvy.  It was neat to help them see that these aren't just stories I'm reading to them....
Love the models of Columbus' ships....so neat! The Santa Maria even had a mini Columbus standing on the deck!

Stuffie wrote out her verse for handwriting. The idea is for her to do her best and give it away as a gift. This week her God-Mother Leigh was the lucky winner. Because of the fish boarder.
                             I love how close Leigh and Stuffie are.

They did great on their spelling tests and paragraph writing too.....

They have also taken to writing their 'play' names on their papers. I never know who I'm going to be grading any more....it can be unsettling.... especially when I can't even say the name at the top of the page....

So that's me pretty much all caught up. Today we're going to make a Pueblo out of card stock (it's 2 words card stock) and  I bet that it going to be a blast.....no really. Almost as much fun as Kung Fu's new reader....
It's about a GIRL!!! GAG!


 I'll leave you with this.....
i-pods keep girls quiet...it works the same on boys....especially when they are playing Fruit Ninja.

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I heart the math picture. A lot!

And thank you for knowing the proper way to write card stock. Some curriculum publishers do not know this information. Or how to spell their name either.

ME said...

Thanks for mentioning my awesomeness!!!

My Favorites